You may remember last winter we surveyed all runners and Volunteers asking about improvements that might be made to the Peak to Beak run. Peak to Beak had a very loyal following of roughly 100 runners but it has not grown beyond these numbers. In fact, the same familiar faces ran each year but there were fewer as time and life marched on. Time for re-invention!
Given the various discussions and ideas, it has taken a long time to find an exciting model and we feel we have it – Fresh Air Hard Knox Challenge. We have an old friend of the Kelowna Running Club, Fresh Air Concept and Fresh Air Experience on board as a Corporate Sponsor. With their enthusiasm and support we bring the first iteration of an event we will grow from year to year. The Fresh Air Hard Knox Challenge is centered on the popular mountain and park in the north end of Kelowna.
Features of the event will include:
- Knox Grind – race the Apex trail to the first lookout. The fastest Male and Female runners will win Mizuno runners
- Two for One IRA race credits – both road and trail series points will be awarded
- A 12 KM run that includes a Lakeshore run to the Delta Grand and then to Paul’s Tomb (one of the best trails in the Kelowna area). A great finishing leg along Poplar Point Road – no killer uphill grind to mount at the end
- See MapMyRun for route map
- A post-race BBQ at the finish line – free to runners and volunteers. For your fans and family, at modest charge they too can enjoy food from EK Grill (a sponsor as well)
- This event will be one everyone – whether runner or walker can enjoy – you do not have to be in marathon condition to succeed.
- More details are in the planning stage and will unfold soon.
The Zone4 registration system is now open.
Hope you and your friends will join us on September 20th